Pride Lafayette seeks to become the premier link to the Greater Lafayette LGBTA community. We hope to build bridges within the community and forge new bonds among young and old, life-long residents and newcomers, and community members living on both sides of the Wabash. We celebrate the strength and diversity of our community, and we foster an increased sense of well-being in the lives we touch.
The mission of Pride Lafayette, Inc, a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit organization, is to continually educate and promote awareness of diversity, health, culture and acceptance of individuals based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Together, members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Allied (LGBTA) communities work to reach the same goal of nondiscrimination by education. Pride Lafayette, Inc. facilitates and coordinates the efforts of the communities to work together on a number of programs and activities such as diversity education, health initiatives, community mobilization, cultural enhancement, and research.
Tax deductible contributions to Pride Lafayette, Inc. help fund activities that result in progress toward equality and education for all individuals in the Lafayette-West Lafayette and surrounding areas.
Pride Lafayette values mutual respect and civility among volunteers and its leaders. We recognize that not everyone can be friends, but we ask people to make a conscientious effort to keep personal differences from interfering with the organization. We believe this principle has been crucial for creating the safe, welcoming, and productive environment we now enjoy.
More specifically, as Pride Lafayette volunteers we uphold the following values as our Code of Conduct:
- Value the trust we have in each other
- Seek to understand and appreciate each other’s abilities by working together and providing support
- Honor the confidentiality people place in us
- Endeavor to balance organizational and individual needs
- Give honest, constructive feedback and value the input of others
- Treat each other fairly
Honesty and Truthfulness
- Be truthful with others and ourselves
- Admit when we are wrong and accept responsibility for our actions
- Express our views openly and directly without fear or favor, with tact and in accordance with known facts
- Exercise self control in managing stress, anger and our behavior
- Know when to walk away
- Recognize our limitations and those of others
- Believe in doing a job the right way and with appropriate enthusiasm
Comradeship and Teamwork
- Learn to rely on each other
- Recognize the bonds that grow through shared experiences over time
- Create an environment that is supportive and encouraging to all volunteers
- Acknowledge that our combined efforts exceed the sum of our individual efforts
- Value the strength in building a team of different personalities and backgrounds
- Recognize and congratulate the achievements of others
- Honor commitments to the organization, while guarding against over-commitment
- Value effective two-way communication
- Respect constructive comment and feedback
- Practice effective listening
- Be alert to non-verbal forms of communication
- Seek advice whenever appropriate
- Share and promote the culture, philosophy and objectives of our organization
Equity and Diversity
- Treat all people as unique individuals and value their beliefs, opinions, knowledge and experiences
- Actively discourage bullying, victimization or demeaning humor
- Stand up for the rights of others as well as our own